Why Good Public Schools Are Important to All of Us
Education matters to our young people- good public schools give them the tools they need:
- to lead fulfilling and, we hope, joyful lives,
- to become strong, contributing citizens and
- to compete in a challenging, global economy, where perhaps now more than ever education is a key to opportunity and success.
"A good education is no longer a pathway to opportunity- it is a prerequisite."
President Barack Obama
Education matters to our entire community- to all of us, whether or not we have children or grandchildren in the public schools. Good public schools:
- build a stronger, better educated workforce,
- help attract the talented, able people we need to run our businesses, our educational and cultural institutions and our many non-profits,
- help attract and retain high quality, environmentally friendly employers offering good, well-paying jobs,
- reduce school dropouts, delinquency, crime, incarcerations, and welfare costs,
- increase property values,
- support the local economy and
- enhance the quality of life for all of us- for the entire community.
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
Education Secretary Arne Duncan
Education matters to all Americans- to create a strong economy, a vibrant democracy, and a great country, we must educate all our young people.
Education Must Be Our Community's Highest and Most Urgent Priority
"Without an education, you really don't have a chance in modern life."
Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
"Strong schools are critical to ensuring a capable workforce for local business, a strong local economy, and a thriving community." Stephen Ralph, President and CEO, Huntington Hospital
"Good public schools are a key component of our future success, and it's very much in our interest to support them."
Charles Harrington, Chairman and CEO, Parsons Corporation
"At Avery Dennison, we believe that every student deserves the opportunity to get a great education. Through the Avery Dennison Foundation and our employee volunteers, we support public schools in the communities in which we work and live, both here in Pasadena and around the world. All businesses have a strong interest in the training and development of tomorrow's leaders, but for Avery Dennison it is something more: a welcome responsibility and a rewarding experience."
Dean Scarborough, Chairman, President & CEO, Avery Dennison Corporation
"To penetrate and dissipate the clouds of darkeness, the general mind must be strengthened by education."
"It just seemed to me like we needed to do a lot more to give people the opportunity to help themselves through that incredible power of education. . . .We're so proud of the blue-chip corporate funders we have. . . .so many great companies out there that really believe that education really should be part of their corporate responsibility initiatives."
John Wood, founder, Room to Read
"Education is perhaps the most powerful tool for reducing poverty, improving health, promoting healthier economies, and providing peaceful and productive opportunities for young people around the world."
Global Campaign for Education
"We believe that when all people in the United States have the opportunity to develop their talents, our society thrives."
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
"Only the educated are free."